A Disk Read Error Occurred is a common error that we often encounter. Majority of the times, we get badly affected by it while doing something utmost important. The main hassle when it comes is, no error code is shown and it makes us clearly dumb. It suggests entering ALT, CTRL, DEL together to escape immediately. But that is not the permanent solution.
Here, we will find out the probable causes behind showing “Disk Read Error occurred” and will dig out the solutions of it, Stay glued here my buddies.
A Disk Read Error Occured- The Reasons Behind it
Four main causes are chosen as the prime causes behind this culprit error. Here those go-
- Faulty Hard Drive: If your Hard disk has gone in condition to be trashed, this error shows
- IDE Cable Failing:
- RAM support:
- Issues in BIOS of OS
Faulty Hard Disk – Get it Repaired
Is your hard disk faulty? Do you have sensitive information on it? If that’s the case, I would recommend contacting a professional at SecureData Recovery to get the data recovered easily. The guys at SecureData Recovery are very fast, professional and reliable. All you need to do is to go on their website, fill in your contact details and they will get back to you almost instantly.
Once they have gone through your case, they will give you an estimated cost (which is the best in the market) and then it’s completely up to you to go ahead with them or not.
Fixing Disk Read Error with Easy Recovery Essential
Now we know the issues, let’s know the process to fix this as we can’t withstand with it for long time. The foremost way to get rid of this error is to get in touch with “Easy recovery essential”. This is a built in option to recover the things damaged. Here in below you will find step by step process to fix it up with Microsoft Easy Recovery Essential.
- Start “Easy recovery essential” and hit “Automated repair” but if in case you don’t have it, please download it from Microsoft help centre and get that burnt in a Disk on ISO format.
- Create the bootable disc or USB, and run it on your PC, Choose “Automated Repair” and click “Continue”.
- Once it goes through the system, you have to choose which drive you want to repair. That’s all.
Let the ER essential tool do that rest. It will find errors related to partition, boot sector, file system etc and suggests repairing ways.If automated option is chosen then rest you back on chair and relax. It will fix everything and after completion it will ask permission to restart the PC to implement the changes properly.
Note: In some system, Windows Set up is asked to repair the issues but you can use Easy recovery essential instead if you don’t have immediate reach to Set Up disc. Simply follow the instruction and do that with blind eyes.
There are some other methods also- these are:
- Fixing RAM: Check the Random access memory of your PC. Remove the newly added RAM module and try to leave at least 1 single RAM module. You can leave 1 RAM in slot #1 either. If you are done, restart the computer. If the error saying “A disk read error occurred” appears again, then change the slot and try another time.
- Hard Disk Cable Checking: Sometimes damaged hard disk cables cause this error! You can do the following things to fix this-
- Try a new or different post for IDE or SATA cable.
- In the case of having more than 1 Hard disk, leave all except the one where Windows is installed.
- Check the SATA cable whether it’s damaged or not superficially.
- Check the ports of SATA cable.
- Upgrading BIOS: Reverting BIOS into default settings or upgrading can fix this issue. But how to do this? A novice can do that with the help of the simple guideline given below-
- Restart the PC and Press F8, ESC or DEL to get into BIOS.
- There in the BIOS, you will have an option named “Load default”. This option varies manufacturer to manufacturer. It can named as – “Load default settings”, “Load Bios default” etc.
- Hit enter on “Load default BIOS” and “save” the settings.
If this makes no help, then upgrade the BIOS and try another time.
- Run CHKDSK: It check disk integrations and sometimes fixes many problems related to system files and cache. Now point comes how to do it. Though this goes different for Windows XP and Windows 8, trust me friends, both are very simple enough to execute.
- For Windows XP:
- Insert a bootable CD and run it.
- At the option of “Windows”, type and hold “R”, recovery console will appear.
- In the command prompt type “CHKDSK” and press “Enter” and restart your system
- For Windows 8/10:
- Insert the CD or USB
- Then select some options like “Language”, “Time” and “Key board settings”
- Click on the “Next Button” and go to the “Repair your PC”
- The next front starts with the “troubleshoot” and “Advanced option” one by one.
- Type CHKDSK command and hit “Enter”
- Run Bootrec: It’s another proven technique to resolve the disk read error issue.
- For XP:
- Insert Bootable Set up CD and access recovery console.
- Type “bootcfg” there in the command section.
- Press “Enter” and let it do the rest of the things.
- Restart the system and you are done!
- For Windows 7:
- Again, insert the Set up CD and go to the “Repair your computer” and in the “command Prompt” option type Bootrec command. There will some “Type and Enter” phases one after another. These are follow-
- Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and Enter
- Type bootrec /fixmbr and Enter
- Type bootrec /fixboot and Enter
Restart your PC to get all these repaired.
- For Windows 8: Same process like Windows 7 described just above.
So, here’s how you can fix A Disk Read Error Occurred error. If the above solution didn’t work out for you, drop in a comment and we will help you out.